The Board of Economic Development is composed of seven members who serve three year staggered terms and are nominated by the Mayor and confirmed by the Council. Residency requirements vary for this Board.
The Board meets on the first Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. (unless noticed otherwise) in the Palmer City Hall Council Chambers located at 231 W. Evergreen Avenue (use the cobb Street entrance).
The Board of Economic Development has been tasked with guiding the economic development of the City of Palmer. The primary means for accomplishing this task is to prepare and implement actions that meet the Economic Development goals contained in the City of Palmer Comprehensive Plan. The five goals of the plan include:
1. Maintaining and advancing our relationship and attractiveness to institutions and cooperatives who currently, or who may be encouraged to base their operations in Palmer,
2. Encourage expansion of Research and Development within the Palmer area,
3. Strengthen Palmer as a place where people come to shop,
4. Enhance Palmer as a tourism destination and as a hub for tourism visits to the attractions of the region, and
5. Support efforts to promote Palmer as a place to live and do business.
The Commission and City staff invite anyone interested in advancing the economic health of the community to attend our meetings, and to plug into City Economic Development efforts. For more information, please contact the Department of Community Development at 761-1322.
Written correspondence can be sent to the Community Development Director, on behalf of the Board, at:
231 W. Evergreen Ave.Palmer, AK 99645